Sunday 16th May 2021
Bostin' Bridge Sportive
The Bostin' Bridge Sportive, will again start from Harper Adams University, just outside Newport, Shropshire, and will take riders on a choice of three fully signposted routes along predominantly country lanes and through the picturesque scenery of Shropshire with the longer routes getting up-close-and-personal with the famous Wrekin hill and riding along the banks of the River Severn and through historic Coalbrookdale, the birthplace of the industrial revolution, and past the iconic "Iron Bridge".
All three of the Bostin' Bridge Sportive routes follow the same exit out of the University campus, through Edgmond and out into Newport town before heading North into the Shropshire countryside. Riding through country lanes, past farms and through hamlets the route reaches the pretty village of Cheswardine, and the highest spot on the Bronze route, before descending to the first feed station at Stoke on Tern. Shortly, after the feed station the Bronze and Silver routes turn South. The Bronze route remains fairly flat, as it heads for home through Ollerton, Great Bolas and back to Edgmond and the finish line. The Silver route turns away after Great Bolas and heads West to rejoin the Gold route a little after passing the creamery at Crudgington.
The Gold route continues after the first feed station to the pretty market town of Wem before turning South and riding past the ceremonial helicopter at the main gates of RAF Shawbury,
The Gold and Silver routes continue South riding towards the big block of rock in the distance, The Wrekin, crossing its height at its saddle, elevated some 255m, before coasting down to a new feed station for this event on the outskirts of Coalbrookdale. After suitable refreshments, the routes drop down through historic Coalbrookdale, on the banks of the River Severn, where the industrial revolution started in the 1700's and the iconic World Heritage Site "Iron Bridge" stands today. The routes pass the Bridge and continue along the river before climbing out of the Severn Gorge at Coalport. After an undulating section of country lanes the routes rejoin with the Bronze route just before Edgmond and then on towards the finish line.
The Bostin' Bridge Sportive - what better way to see world renowned historic sites and get some fresh air!
You have three great routes to choose from:
120K / 75 miles
- Actual distance + 117.2K / 72.8 miles
- Total climb + 995m / 3,265 feet
- Max. gradient + 11.2% / -10.3%
- Grading + 2/5 (116) - Challenging
- Single lap
- Two feed stations
- Registration opens - 8.00am
- Start time - 9.00am
100K / 60 miles
- Actual distance + 99.0K / 61.5 miles
- Total climb + 857m / 2,812 feet
- Max. gradient + 11.0% / -10.2%
- Grading + 1/5 (84) - Moderate
- Single lap
- Two feed stations
- Registration opens - 8.15am
- Start time - 9.15am (approx.)
50K / 30 miles
- Actual distance + 51.7K / 32.1 miles
- Total climb + 347m / 1,138 feet
- Max. gradient +5.1% / -5.2%
- Grading + 1/5 (18) - Moderate
- Single lap
- One feed station
- Registration opens - 8.30am
- Start time - 9.30am (approx.)
- The event is open to anyone - from keen amateurs to club riders and professionals
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult and a parental consent form must be completed at Registration.
- Entrants can only ride suitably maintained road legal bicycles with working brakes (ie. no track bikes please) powered by a chain. (see FAQ for full details of permitted bikes).
- Tandems are permitted but entry fees payable are per person and not per bike.
- Event HQ facilities, toilets and free car parking
- Free tea/coffee at Registration
- Start line mechanic, to sort out any last minute bike issues
- All routes fully signposted
- Event information pack (emailed 3 days before event)
- GPS/GPX route files
- Free tea, coffee, water, cakes, bananas, etc at all feed station(s)
- On-course photography (subject to availability/rider numbers)
- Emergency support includes first aid, rider's emergency telephone number and support vehicles to return you and your bike to the Event HQ in the event of mechanical failure
- Commemorative medal to all finishers
- Free hot food and tea/coffee at the finish
- A great sense of achievement and a Bostin' smile!
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- spare parts, tools or on-course mechanical support
- each rider should carry their own tools, replacement inner-tubes, patches, chain-links, etc. to enable them to repair every-day mechanical failures.
- If you cannot repair your bike we will pick you up but we will not repair your bike for you.
- roads in perfect condition
- we are at the mercy of the local authorities and the weather with regard to the conditions of the road surfaces on the day of the event.
- detailed monitoring of riders around the course - although we try our best to sweep the routes and make sure that everyone arrives back safely.
- timing chips or any other timing information - it is not a race!