Bostin' Chase Sportive
Following the great success of the inaugeral Bostin’ Chase Sportive last year, and excellent comments on the route that we received from our riders, we have decided to include the event in our 2019 calendar. The Bostin’ Chase Sportive cycling event takes riders on a choice of three fully signposted routes along predominantly country lanes and through the wonderful scenery of Shropshire and Staffordshire with the longer routes getting to experience Cannock Chase forest and Blithfield Reservoir.
All of our Cycling routes begin and finish at Harper Adams University near Newport, Shropshire. It is a wonderful venue with excellent facilities and plenty of parking in a safe secure location allowing you to ride with peace of mind.
All the routes head South, out of the University campus, passing through the quiet villages of Edgmond, riding past the beautiful St Peters Church, and forward through wonderful open countryside towards the first short sharp testing climb of the day, just outside of Lilleshall, and then onwards to climb the highest point on the Bronze route, just before Sheriffhales. From there the route continues down country lanes passing through farmland near to the Morrey Meadows National Nature Reserve towards Wheaton Aston then on towards Penkridge for the first feed station of the day. After refreshment the Gold and Silver routes continue East whilst those riding the Bronze route head North and begin their trip back to the University – but do not fear for you will take a different return route to the one you came on! Passing through more charming villages, along country lanes and interesting places, such as the delightful Norbury Junction canal basin, before arriving at the finish line after riding a Bostin’ Chase 70K/40 miles Bronze route.
For those taking part on the Gold and Silver routes for the Bostin’ Chase Sportive cycling event you will continue on from Penkridge and continue East towards Milford Common and the former Royal forest of Cannock Chase.
Our Bostin’ Chase Sportive Silver riders eventually turn right and ride up the short but steep Brocton Bank (used by the Tour of Britain) then on through the Chase, watching out for the resident deer population and other wildlife, before descending downwards and heading back towards Penkridge through more wonderful countryside passing small lakes, streams, and canals. After a well deserved cuppa at the second feed station, you will continue back to HQ following the picturesque Bronze route’s return leg. A route you will remember for years to come!
For those who want to experience a longer route, by riding the Bostin’ Chase Sportive Gold cycling route, you will experience a 120K, 75 mile route which extends yet further East over in to Staffordshire riding through villages and hamlets such Milford Common, the main entrance to Shugborough Hall and its National Trust Park, Tixall, Great Hayward and Hixon. After skirting the edge of the Chase you will then ride straight across the middle of beautiful Blithfield Reservoir, with its ever-present wildfowl and stunning views, before continuing South West towards Rugeley. Then back over some lumps through the middle of Cannock Chase to rejoin the Silver route on its way back to Penkridge and some refreshment, returning to HQ along the Bronze and Silver route.
All three Bostin’ Chase routes are picturesque, challenging in parts but memorable! What better way to spend a Sunday!
You have three great routes to choose from:
- The event is open to anyone - from keen amateurs to club riders and professionals
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult and a parental consent form must be completed at Registration.
- Entrants can only ride suitably maintained road legal bicycles with working brakes (ie. no track bikes please) powered by a chain. (see FAQ for full details of permitted bikes).
- Tandems are permitted but entry fees payable are per person and not per bike.
- Event HQ facilities, toilets and free car parking
- Free tea/coffee at Registration
- Start line mechanic, to sort out any last minute bike issues
- All routes fully signposted
- Event information pack (emailed 3 days before event)
- GPS/GPX route files
- Free tea, coffee, water, cakes, bananas, etc at all feed station(s)
- On-course photography (subject to availability/rider numbers)
- Emergency support includes first aid, rider's emergency telephone number and support vehicles to return you and your bike to the Event HQ in the event of mechanical failure
- Commemorative medal to all finishers
- Free hot food and tea/coffee at the finish
- Finish line massage available (chargeable service)
- A great sense of achievement and a Bostin' smile!
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- spare parts, tools or on-course mechanical support
- each rider should carry their own tools, replacement inner-tubes, patches, chain-links, etc. to enable them to repair every-day mechanical failures.
- If you cannot repair your bike we will pick you up but we will not repair your bike for you.
- roads in perfect condition
- we are at the mercy of the local authorities and the weather with regard to the conditions of the road surfaces on the day of the event.
- detailed monitoring of riders around the course - although we try our best to sweep the routes and make sure that everyone arrives back safely.
- timing chips or any other timing information - it is not a race!