Bostin' Diablo Sportive
UNFORTUNATELY, THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED! SEE BLOG FOR FULL DETAILS.
ANYONE WHO HAS ENTERED WILL BE REFUNDED IN DUE COURSE.
Following on from the 2019 running of this event, we are very excited to be able to present you with the new Bostin' Diablo Sportive with a new event HQ and some route changes.
The Bostin' Diablo Sportive ('Diablo' in Spanish means Devil!) is our only 100 miler of the season and all routes are challenging but represent a great day out in the wonderful Peak District riding through wonderful countryside with tremendous views.
The new event HQ is Staffordshire University's Leek Road Campus in Stoke-on-Trent which provides ample free car parking, toilets and changing facilities.
All three of the Bostin' Diablo Sportive routes follow the same exit out of the HQ, and proceed through the outskirts of Stoke-on-Trent heading South East towards the lure of the countryside before heading north and bypassing Cheadle. After crossing the Churnet Valley Railway at Froghall the combined routes get a bit more serious with the first real climb of the
day up through the pretty hamlet of Foxt and then up on to the Ipstones Edge with its wonderful views. After that enjoy a rest-bite of a 2 mile descent, past a very large and impressive cement works (it takes all-sorts!), down into Waterhouse and then on to the first feed station.
Shortly, after you have enjoyed some feed station goodies, all riders continue out of Waterfall before the Bronze riders turn left and start heading North West, following the edge of the National Park, up the rise onto Moor Side and the highest point on the Bronze route. Spectacular views over the market town of Leek to your left, as you climb,
Meanwhile, the Gold and Silver riders continue North up onto Grindon Moor before dropping down and through the spectacular tunnel at Swainsley - not one to miss - before following the Manifold Valley for a while then on to picturesque Ilam, Thorpe and Tissington villages. The Gold and Silver routes part company with the Gold riders cycling upwards towards Longcliffe whilst the Silver route heads up through Palwich and on towards its second feed station while the Gold route heads further North up over the Limestone Way towards Youlgreave and Monyash before reuniting with the Silver route just before the feed station at Warslow.
After some much needed free sustenance, the riders head West through lovely Peak District countryside to a fork in the road where the Gold route goes right and the Silver route goes left. At this point we offer our Silver riders a free bonus. If they want to they can divert off their chosen route here and join the Gold route and cycle up and around the famous "Roaches" outcrop, This will increase the length of their ride by 8K (5 miles) and add some 83m (271 feet) of additional climbing to their legs - totally optional on the day but would be well worth the extra effort!
Whichever route the riders take they will all eventually drop down towards Meerbrook and the expanse of water, mudflats and reeds, known as Tittesworth Reservoir. By this point all three routes are back together as they continue South West homeward bound towards the ride HQ.
The Bostin' Diablo Sportive - some devilish climbs but added to stunning scenery and the sense of achievement there is surely no better way to spend time in the great British countryside!
You have three great routes to choose from:
160K / 100 miles
- Actual distance + 161.7K / 100.5 miles
- Total climb + 2,367m / 7,767 feet
- Max. gradient + 12.8% / -12.8%
- Grading + 4/5 (382) - Hard
- Single lap
- Two feed stations and one water stop
- Registration opens - 7.30am
- Start time - 8.30am
120K / 75 miles
- Actual distance + 122.3K / 75.9 miles
- Total climb + 1,788m / 5,866 feet
- Max. gradient + 13.3% / -11.4%
- Grading + 3/5 (218) - Difficult
- Single lap
- Two feed stations
- Registration opens - 7.45am
- Start time - 8.45am (approx.)
The above details exclude the on-the-route optional diversion to visit the iconic "Roaches" - see narrative
80K / 50 miles
- Actual distance + 75.9K / 47.1 miles
- Total climb + 988m / 3,241 feet
- Max. gradient + 12.5% / -9.8%
- Grading + 1/5 (75) - Moderate
- Single lap
- One feed station
- Registration opens - 8.00am
- Start time - 9.00am (approx.)
- The event is open to anyone - from keen amateurs to club riders and professionals
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult and a parental consent form must be completed at Registration.
- Entrants can only ride suitably maintained road legal bicycles with working brakes (ie. no track bikes please) powered by a chain. (see FAQ for full details of permitted bikes).
- Tandems are permitted but entry fees payable are per person and not per bike.
- Event HQ facilities, toilets and free car parking
- Free tea/coffee at Registration
- Start line mechanic, to sort out any last minute bike issues
- All routes fully signposted
- Event information pack (emailed 3 days before event)
- GPS/GPX route files
- Free tea, coffee, water, cakes, bananas, etc at all feed station(s)
- On-course photography (subject to availability/rider numbers)
- Emergency support includes first aid, rider's emergency telephone number and support vehicles to return you and your bike to the Event HQ in the event of mechanical failure
- Commemorative medal to all finishers
- Free hot food and tea/coffee at the finish
- A great sense of achievement and a Bostin' smile!
* refreshments are subject to covid-19 guidance
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- spare parts, tools or on-course mechanical support
- each rider should carry their own tools, replacement inner-tubes, patches, chain-links, etc. to enable them to repair every-day mechanical failures.
- If you cannot repair your bike we will pick you up but we will not repair your bike for you.
- roads in perfect condition
- we are at the mercy of the local authorities and the weather with regard to the conditions of the road surfaces on the day of the event.
- detailed monitoring of riders around the course - although we try our best to sweep the routes and make sure that everyone arrives back safely.
- timing chips or any other timing information - it is not a race!